About

Learn about the creator of this online resource.

Meet

Derrick Griffey, Ph.D.

Director of Distance Education, Faculty Development, & Learning Resources

Gadsden State Community College

WELCOME

Thank you for taking the time to visit my teaching resources website!  To tell you a little about myself, my teaching fields are sociology and history.  In my current role at Gadsden State, I serve as the Director of Distance Education, Faculty Development, and Learning Resources.

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

I hold a Ph.D. in Instructional Technology and Instructional Design from The University of Alabama (2017), an M.A. in Sociology from Middle Tennessee State University (2010), an M.A. in Secondary History Education from The University of Alabama (2004), and a B.S.Ed. in Secondary Social Science Education from Jacksonville State University (2003).

TEACHING BACKGROUND

I began my teaching career teaching 7th grade social studies in 2003.  I spent 5 years teaching middle school and high school before making the move to community college sociology and history instruction in 2008 – which is where I have been ever since.  In 2016, I became the Director of the Teaching & Learning Center where I supervise the college’s distance learning programs, distance learning quality assurance, LMS, instructional design initiatives, and faculty development.  In August of 2018, I took on the additional responsibilities of supervising the college’s libraries and that is when I was given my current title.  Because of this, I’ve actually gone back to school myself to get a master’s degree in library science.

PERSONAL BIO

As for my personal life, just so that you know me a little bit better, I am a life-long resident Rainbow City.  I own my own home in the neighborhood where I grew up.  I am an only child and I spend a great deal of time with my parents who are both in their 70's. Beyond a pretty diverse friend group, the only other loved ones in my life are two cats named Emily and Scout.  I love to travel and love the outdoors.  I'm a technology nerd and love to play with all the latest gadgets.  I'm also a fan of science fiction (Star Trek most notably), table-top gaming, video gaming, anime, and pretty much anything that is considered "geekish" or "nerdy." I love good food and locally sourced spirits.  Dave Matthews Band is my favorite music group.

CONTACT INFORMATION

If you have any questions or comments about my page, click the link below to access my contact form. I look forward to hearing from you!

My Example